If you live in an older home installing new windows will save energy costs. Older single pane windows are far less efficient when compared to new high-performance windows which are constructed with two panes of glass and a Low-E Coating. Upgrading to ENERGY STAR® new windows will save energy and reduce the heat loss through the windows by 10 to 20 percent depending on the style of the existing windows.
Installing New Windows Will Save Energy, But How Much?
Yes it is true that an upgrade to ENERGY STAR® new windows will save energy and thus reduce your monthly utility bill. However the amount you will save varies greatly depending on what area of the country you live in. The style and condition of your current windows can affect your savings as well. While upgrading from double pane windows to ENERGY STAR® windows will reward you with some savings, the payback is far greater if you current windows are single pane.
Here are some examples of the average savings according to the U.S. Department of Energy. These numbers are based on a 2,000 SQ/FT single story, detached home with 300 SQ/FT of windows. This study was based on energy costs in 2007, therefore the savings will be much greater today.
REGION | Upgrading From Single Pane | Upgrading from Double Pane
- New England, Maine to Rhode Island | $465 | $91
- East North Central, including Illinois & Indiana| $377 | $78
- West North Central from North Dakota to Missouri | $352 | $75
- Mountain Region, from Montana to Arizona | $381 | $61
- Northeast, Washington and Oregon | $460 | $57
- California | $126 | $27
- Southwest Central including Texas | $266 | $90
- East South Central including Mississippi and Alabama | $349 | $57
- Florida | $186 | $111
- South Atlantic Region | $446 | $59
- Mid-Atlantic Region |$424 | $91
The savings you realize could be even greater depending on the condition of your old windows. Windows in need of repair or replacement are often a source for cold drafts in the winter months.
Energy Saving Tips
If you are searching for a professional glass replacement contractor to help you with your ENERGY STAR® window installation in Illinois: contact One Source Renovation, LLC at WindowRepairGuy.com or give us a call at (815)-634-8922.